Sunday, June 19, 2011

There must be a proportion (on John xi)

Martha, do you believe?

I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the healer, and that if you had been here, Lazarus would still be alive.

Why do you limit me?

How do I limit you?

Look at your hands. What do you see?

My hands.

I made them. Look at the sky. What do you see?

It is vast.

I made it.

All this I believe.

Do you?

Lord, why didn't you come? If you had come, if you had only come, he would be here. Don't you love him?

Yes.

Then why did he die? Why this pain? Why this defeat?

I must obey my Father. I must glorify him, that I may be glorified in him. I and the Father are one.

He is dead.

I am life.

He is dead.

I made him.

He is dead.

I can give him life. I, who made all things, through whom the universe was made, I can give him life. Why do you limit me?

My faith is small.

Enlarge it. Come close. Know me. In knowing me, see what I can do. See my love towards those that draw near. Then you will believe with a strength that will take you through until the end.

When is the end? What role is left for me?

Walk in obedience, trust that no task is too big. Proportion your faith to the nature of its object. I made all things, can do all things, even greater than all you can imagine. Ask, draw near, walk into obedience. All is possible.

1 Comments:

Blogger John B said...

"Proportion your faith to the nature of its object."

A well phrased and insightful truth, encouraging and challenging.

6:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home