Saturday, August 02, 2008

Things that annoy me

1. Rob Bell's prose style

Here is a sample:

"He promises to send his Spirit to guide them and give them powers, but Jesus himself leave the future of the movement in their hands. And he doesn’t stick around to make sure they don’t screw it up. He’s gone. He trusts that they can actually do it.

God has an incredibly high view of people. God believes that people are capable of amazing things.

I have been told that I need to believe in Jesus. Which is a good thing. But what I am learning is that Jesus believe in me"

This is an oft-quoted passage from Velvet Elvis, mainly because it is based on a radical re-interpretation of the story of Jesus walking on the water (a radically wrong re-interpretation, by the way). Why do I think this is bad prose style? Read it. It is cheesy, cutesy, devoid of humor and logic, ignorantly humanistic.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is the way that Bell is ignorant of the historical philosophies that underpine his beliefs. He thinks that he has come up with them himself somehow. He is not new, not original. What is unique is that he has managed to package these ideas so that they are palatable to the masses.

2. Friends

The show. I do enjoy having them.

3. Ok so, maybe this list was artifically created for me to express annoyance at Rob Bell.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bentley said...

Rob Bell is one of the most unreadable authors I've ever read.

And despite his claim to be radical, or new...his theology is old,

which is part of what I like about him. his theology is old...my position in most things is...new is inferior to old, especially in theology.

10:13 AM

 
Blogger Bentley said...

also I will say, I don't think his writing or theology is palatable to the masses. It is aimed at rich, white, dissatisfied with wealth but too scared to give it up, pseudo-postmodern (but not ready to declare it all relative), wannabe radicals. like me...which is probably why I enjoyed the velvet elvis.

step one: admit you have a problem

10:16 AM

 
Blogger Juanis Chanis said...

hm. I think Rob Bell needs to listen to a tape of himself in a room full of high schoolers, so he could hear how silly he sounds. His public persona obscures his theology for me.

8:21 AM

 
Blogger Bentley said...

I'm not actually familiar with his public persona.

If he can draw several thousand on a Sunday morning though it would probably annoy me

4:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home