Monday, March 16, 2009

Hawai'i

I just spent the last three days on the island of Oahu.

I want to clarify why I went, so that my readers (some of whom may be donors) don't think that I went merely to go surfing and swim with dolphins.

Two of my best friends in the galaxy live in Hawai'i--Timothy Lin and Mike Cain. They are out there working with the Navigators. I love these guys a lot, and I know that one of the hard things for them has been the isolation. So I found a cheap ticket (well, relatively cheap) and took an open weekend. One of the nice things about ministry here in Long Beach is that our weekends are pretty free.

I was really hoping to encourage them, and experience a bit of their life. Also I wanted to meet Tim's new girlfriend Heidi.

Some highlights from the time:

1. Shaved Ice, malasalas (sp?), poke, kalbi steak. Some good eating.

2. First time surfing! I managed to get up to my knees, but that's it. Maybe better luck next time.

3. Philipino Karaoke, partially in Engrish. Example: the line "building castles in the sky" became "building castles in disguise."

4. Swimming with the dolphins for free! Check out the pics on facebook. Tim and I both made out with the dolphin. Mike had to settle for a hug.

5. Meeting and getting to know, a bit, Heidi. Tim's a lucky guy, she's really cool.

6. A 13 dollar beer in Waikiki. Wait, did I say highlight? Actually that was a lowlight. That place was so haole, am I right?

5 Comments:

Blogger mike cain said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:08 AM

 
Blogger mike cain said...

Malasadas, brah. Ono kine grindz, yeah. Next time get haupia kine.

1:11 AM

 
Blogger cori said...

I feel like this is the first time you have blogged about something happening in your personal life... ?

cool that you got to go.

8:13 PM

 
Blogger loca said...

I am glad you went to encourage your dear friends :) I was definitely teasing you and wishing I was in ministry flying to Hawaii, but it was all in good fun! Now, when are you going to come see us!?!?!?

4:18 AM

 
Blogger Mamita Betsy said...

I'm glad you got to go! I agree with Cori...I'd like to hear a little more about what the doctrines you share and your scripture insights mean in your every day life.

6:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home