Monday, February 15, 2010

A Few Thoughts on the Creative Process

1. I am striving to keep my language as fresh as possible, free of anything that sounds artificial.

2. I want to communicate, harnessing language, having it serve a greater purpose. Words in a pleasant arrangement are not an end in itself.

3. Beautiful ideas well communicated will result in beautiful writing. When my writing is most beautiful in my estimation is when the idea I want to communicate is most evidently seen. The idea itself, however, is not one that can be plainly seen, or else there would be little need for my efforts. To sum up, to make concise, to fit into a small phrase an idea of grandeur and ineffability...this is the goal of my writing.

4. Meaningless phrases are my foe, empty words my great enemy. I must know what I write, I don't want to write anything that is not experienced.

5. Behind it all is the power of sin in the heart, and the efforts to force the self to see truth. These men must speak to themselves because their hearts shake within them as all men's do.

6. These things are on my mind as I write: real communication, meaningful phrases, ruthlessness with heart sin, and a desire to glorify God in every action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home