Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Joys of Skipping Class

Today I had five classes. I went to two of them. Senioritis hits hardest in the third senior year.

But it is hard to get worried. I never missed a class during my freshman and sophomore year of college. Then, I took a class called 16th-century counterpoint. It was the must stultifyingly dull class I have ever had. One week I was sick, and missed three days. I went up to the professor to ask him if I had missed anything. He didn't know who I was (class size--11). I began to consistently skip Fridays, then Mondays as well. I got an A. Nothing fuels wrong behavior like a lack of consequences.

This began a nasty trend. School is so consistently boring for me, that a class I don't feel like going to, I simply won't go to. But classes that are interesting, I never miss. For example, I have not missed my Music Theory lecture a single time this semester. The TA run discussion of the same class? I have gone to four times this entire semester, all of them on test days. Yet my grade sits at a high B.

Here is where it gets ridiculous. I attended two lectures of a ten lecture set, read the notes of a friend once, sat the test, and got a 94.

However, if a cautionary tale is needed, last semester, I attended my Biochemistry class three times. I failed it.

Here are the rules, therefore, for skipping class:

1. The class must be boring.
2. The professor must not know you by name.
3. You must have a GPA of at least 3.5.
4. You must not be in danger of failing the class.

There you have it. Don't skip class.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marco Aurelio said...

i accidently slept through my first class today only to find out after chapel that it had been cancelled. What luck.

9:53 PM

 
Blogger Juanis Chanis said...

i feel like professors need to earn your attendance. i hardly ever skipped class in college, partly because at wheaton professors usually take attendance and they ALWAYS notice when you're gone--plus most of my class sessions were super quality. so, the classes that i did skip on occasion were the awful ones, the ones where i felt the professor mostly liked to hear himself talk.

8:21 PM

 
Blogger Bentley said...

I'm not really the class skipping type. I try not to take classes in boring subjects and I find that even when poorly delivered, interest seeps through. I always dropped classes if the first few lectures didn't interest me.

10:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home