Monday, June 04, 2007

Reflections on an accident

My car is most likely totaled. Some facts:

1. It was my fault.
2. I had just reflected about two days earlier that I would most likely have that car until 2013 or so.
3. I love Corollas. And that car was perfect for me.
4. It was my first day of fund-raising. I have three appointments tomorrow.
5. No one was hurt, not even slightly. The girls I hit were very nice.
6. I have liability-only insurance. Any repairs to my car will come from out-of-pocket.

So there are the facts. I have to say, it was unexpected. I had earlier been reflecting on the astounding goodness of God. Does this change things for me?

Several days ago, I had the privilege of hearing Jerry Bridges speak. He spoke on what it means to trust God. Here are his three points.

1. God is sovereign.
--The accident was in God's power. He caused it.
2. God is wise.
--What he is doing in it is according to his plan.
3. God is good.
-- What he is doing is for my benefit.

I believe these things when times are good. So I should believe them now as well. It is interesting that often the small annoyances-the inconveniences that are hard to fathom-are harder to deal with than the larger problems. Why would God want to take away the car that I just got, that he just brought me? It doesn't seem to make any sense.

Listen to J.I. Packer:

For the truth is that God in his wisdom, to make and keep us humble and to teach us to walk by faith, has hidden from us almost everything that we should like to know about the providential purposes which he is working out in the churches and in our own lives. "As thou knowest not what is the way of the wind, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child; even so thous knowest not the work of God who doest all." (Eccl. 11:5 RV)

We must believe that the inscrutable God of providence is the wise and gracious God of creation and redemption. We can be sure that the God who made this marvelously complex world order, and who compassed the great redemption from Egypt, an who later compassed the even greater redemption from sin and Satan, knows what he is doing, and "doeth all things well," even if for the moment he hides his hand. We can trust him and rejoice in him, even when we cannot discern his path.

Listen to me:

I am greatly blessed. Let me tell you how...

1. No one was injured in the accident.
2. My parents and friends all helped me, supported me, and were gracious towards me. Bryce helped diffuse the situation (the accident occurred right near both our houses). My dad as always was wise and gentle.
3. I have insurance!
4. The police allowed us to resolve the accident civilly, so I wasn't cited.
5. I had a car in the first place.
6. I still have my old car, Zooey, with her black tinted windows, and her complete lack of air conditioning.
7. My friend Mike Glasser lent me his second car for a week, until I can get Zooey from Nogales. What a friend God has given me!
8. I was able to drive the car to my Summit, and help Ryan and Valerie get there as well.

But even if none of these blessings were in place, still God would be good, still he would be wise. I am merely saying that I do not have anything to complain about. The bottom line is that God gave me that car. Now he has taken it away. I do not know or understand his purposes, but they are good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mamita Betsy said...

So thankful everyone was ok! We will be praying that God will provide all your needs.

2:44 PM

 
Blogger Juanis Chanis said...

o dear stevels, i'm sorry...i'm glad you still have zooey...

8:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home