Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Don't worry, I am not going to ruin anything. I just have a few things to say...

1. I was completely satisfied, and more so.

2. Not since Dickens has there been a name-conjurer like J.K. Rowling. Here are a sample of some of my favorites.
-Severus Snape
-Xenophilius Lovegood
-Neville Longbottom
-Godric Gryffindor
-Salazar Slytherin
-Lucius Malfoy
-Bellatrix Lestrange
-Horace Slughorn

I pause here to note that there seems to be a law in the wizarding community against more than one person having the same first name. Can you think of two characters in her books that have the same first name, that aren't blood-related?

3. It is still amazing to me that she really had a coherent and complex plot in mind the entire time. Really. She makes references back to events in the first book, in the last one. I could have sworn up until the fourth book that she was just making it up as she went along. But she wasn't!

4. These are books that have slowly grown on me. At first they were no more than diversion, on par with my old Timothy Zahn obsession. But now, I'm not sure. While I don't think they compare in richness to the creation of Tolkein (But who could hope to approach that? The guy invented 11 different languages for his imaginary universe). But it certainly deserves to be in that category. Her prose is nothing special, but still, the names, the ideas, the complexity. I don't know how to consider it. Thoughts?

3 Comments:

Blogger Marco Aurelio said...

i'll tell you when i read number 7

11:31 PM

 
Blogger Bentley said...

I think the genius lies in the story telling. She has a knack for timing which is rare.

8:05 PM

 
Blogger Marco Aurelio said...

by the way what about nymphadora tonks?

11:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home