Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter?

Eostre = Anglo-Saxon god of Spring

Celebration of fertility, the newness of the Earth, etc...common post-winter themes in pagan cultures. Enduring symbols are eggs and rabbits, two signs of fertility and copulation.

Co-opted by the ancient churches as they consolidated power, thus also a symbol of the corruption of the church that led eventually to the Roman and Orthodox churches, twin rivals in oppression of the true church.

Why again should I celebrate this holiday? Easter grew in popularity in America as religious observance fell. The historically minded Christian will wonder at this. As we decorate our churches, hold our morning masses, etc., remember that Nadab and Abihu died for offering unauthorized fire to God.

5 Comments:

Blogger loca said...

I have a hard time with Easter and Christmas. Here's my dilemma: do I
a.) Reclaim them as a holiday that my family and I celebrate and use it to invite people in to what is a sacred and holy holiday/s
b.) Allow the secular culture to have them- with their many decorated trees, eggs, gifts, bunnies, santas, and festivities

I think God is inviting me into the first- but it's hard to know how to celebrate "secular" holidays in a meaningful and God honoring way

9:42 AM

 
Blogger Mamita Betsy said...

I agree with you. If I put out Easter eggs and decorations it's interesting when my Mexican friends come over...now, what do the eggs mean and the bunnies? I always have a hard time explaining! So, I don't really put anything out. The chocolate is kind of nice...

7:34 AM

 
Blogger Juanis Chanis said...

I loooove Easter. and Christmas.

It's an excuse to get together with your family and eat until you can't breathe! How much better does it get than that?

9:51 AM

 
Blogger Krista said...

I have some leftover chocolate eggs you could have to make you feel better about the whole thing.

2:15 PM

 
Blogger loca said...

ps- that's why I love you Jane! You just enjoy things because they are and don't over analyze everything. :)

1:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home