Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chosen

A few reflections on a word...

1. The love of the initiator is a choosing love. The husband chooses and bestows love. The reason that the bridegroom analogy is so present in the Word is that it succinctly conveys the nature of God's love for us. It is a choosing love that picks from among many. Those that are loved by God are chosen.

2. Chosen implies that others are not chosen. This is the nature of things, and any dissembling here is foolish. If you choose something, you pick it out distinctly from among many things. The other things are not chosen.

3. Thus the foolishness of Arminian thought here, and the empty notion that God's choice is based on foreknowledge, that he knew who would choose him and chose them before he could do it. This is to toy with language and alter the nature of a word in pursuit of a philosophical assumption. This Arminian choosing is no choice, but rather alters things so that our love becomes the choosing love, that we chose God from among other options, and that he knew this in advance. What choice is that? This is an empty passivity that we shun when we see it at work in a human relationships.

4. No, choice is choice, and if God said that he chose us in Christ before the creation of the world, we should acknowledge that he meant that, simply, and rejoice in the fact. It exalts us not a bit to be chosen, since it happened "while we were still sinners." But choosing exalts us, cleanses us, sets us before the throne of God in glory. Choosing is the power of God, and let us leave that power in his hands.

4 Comments:

Blogger Passionpen said...

Wow. This is my favorite post so far. And I am so in agreement. When I was first taught this in the church, I had no problem with it cuz I knew the word. It clearly says that so why is it so hard to believe it...

It just makes me so thankful. This truth deepens my worship and love for God.

I've been reflecting on my story, my life with God.. and I see that it all started with Him. NOt with me.

Thanks for posting this. I hope your trip goes well. Praying for you guys!!!!

2:26 PM

 
Blogger Steven said...

thanks for the comment Laura. I wanted to specify something, because when I re-read the post I noticed some ambiguity, since I stated that being chosen does not exalt us, then seemed to contradict myself in the next statement.

I meant to say, the fact that we are chosen does not exalt us. But the effect of being chosen is exaltation. I hope that makes sense.

10:43 PM

 
Blogger Mamita Betsy said...

I'm no theologian, but when I read the Bible I understand that I am created by God with a will to decide to follow or not follow Jesus. When Jesus said to the disciples "Follow me..." did they have no choice? I think your using the word "foolish" for Armenian thought is unfortunate. The truth remains that "God so loved the world", every human being. The church I belong to is Arminian-Wesleyan in background. A couple statements from our doctrine, which I believe is the same as yours, "God, by His Spirit, acts to impart new life and put people into a relationship with Himself as they repent and their faith responds to His grace." "He is the effective agent in our conviction, regeneration, sanctification, and glorification. He is our Lord's ever-present self, indwelling, assuring, and enabling the believer." "They are unable by their own strength and work to restore themselves in right relationship with God and to merit eternal salvation. God, the Omnipotent, provides all the resources of the Trinity to make it possible for humans to respond to His grace through faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. By God's grace and help people are enabled to do good works with a free will."

12:53 PM

 
Blogger Steven said...

"He is the effective agent in our conviction, regeneration, sanctification, and glorification. He is our Lord's ever-present self, indwelling, assuring, and enabling the believer."

I don't disagree with this. If God is effective, than he is effective.

"God, by His Spirit, acts to impart new life and put people into a relationship with Himself as they repent and their faith responds to His grace."

But here it contradicts itself. Either the Spirit is effective, or else it is in response to our repentance and faith.

6:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home