Sunday, October 26, 2008

Final Political Thoughts

1. Darrel Hammond as Jesse Jackson, commenting on the Bradley effect:

"I hope this phenomenon [pause] does not become an obamanon."

This is not really a thought, just something I found to be hilarious. Here is the clip.

2. Christians who vote for Obama, I will not question your devotion to God, but I will question the coherency of your moral thinking. I know the desire to seem all eager, and questioning, and be called the "new evangelical vote" or whatever. But in the end, I think abortion should trump other considerations. It is (or should be) black and white. One candidate will immediately expand abortion overseas, oppose any legislation that limits abortion in any way, and appoint justices that will support and expand abortion here at home. Is abortion the ending of life? Then vote accordingly.

3. That being said, please, please, no more alignment of churches, pastors, organizations, etc. with patriotism. View the church as global!

4. Nothing is more noxious and hateful in my ears than the opposition to immigration in this country. And it is disgusting that Christians have played such a large role in it.

There you have it. No more thoughts for me on that issue. I wanted to link to this excellent critique of the Nooma videos, for those of you who are interested. I think it is even-handed and fair (much more so than I have been).

Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Juanis Chanis said...

obamanon. yep, that's hilarious.

thanks for the thoughts. :) you've given me a lot to chew over.

7:16 PM

 
Blogger sonrisa said...

You're the most convincing person I have discussed politics with thus far. (David used to be, but now he's anti political...sort of. :)
I do see your point and it might be enough to drag me out to the polls on 11.4.
Thanks for sharing your convictions.

7:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home