Thursday, October 23, 2008

Replying

A few thoughts in response to Jane (none in response to David. I'm not sure how to deal with the information that my brother is currently shopping his vote.)

1. I agree that Christians ethic should be consistently pro-life. I tried to make that clear. All I'm saying is that if you believe that abortion ends life, then there are far far far far more deaths from abortions world-wide than from any other cause. Therefore priorities are clearly on abortion! Obama is at the most extreme end of the abortion debate.

2. Presidents, McCain or otherwise, cannot repeal Roe v. Wade. But the next presidential candidate may nominate two Supreme Court Justices. Even more moderate Democrats tend to nominate extremely liberal justices (Clinton and Ginsberg). Obama has shown himself to be one of the more liberal members of the Senate.

3. I agree that Republicans in general have manipulated Christians. I think the mixing of politics and religion that happens in many churches, or more precisely, religion and patriotism, is gross.

4. But abortion man! I can't get around it. I tend to think small-government, free trade, etc. anyways, so I lean to the right I guess. But even if I didn't (read: even if I was like Rob Bell), I don't think there is any justification for voting for a proven pro-abortion candidate. I think justifying it is not really thinking it through. Do you believe that abortion is murder? Yes or no. If yes, then, what are you doing about it, really?

5. Finally, fighting for the reduction of abortion is incoherent, really. I think this is the number one justification that Christians use for voting for a Democrat. That even though this person is pro-abortion, they are trying to reduce the incidence of it. This, I think, is the real manipulation, because it is so easy to say. Even Hilary said this.

6. Ultimately, I think Rob Bell and his cohorts need to take their thoughts captive and figure out what they are really going for here. I think it is pretty clear. They want to be able to vote Democratic. My whole generation does. Heck, sometimes I do too. It would be great to be chilling with some of my hip liberal friends and tell them I voted for Obama, or even better, wear an Obama t-shirt or something (although, I'm thinking of wearing one ironically). Now, this is not a very strong urge, generally, mainly because I find much of the ideology behind large government repellent.

2 Comments:

Blogger Juanis Chanis said...

Abortion is a huge sticking point.

However, McCain's articulation that he would prefer social programs promoting adoption to repealing Roe v Wade sounds an awful lot like Obama's position.

I don't feel that there is enough of a distinction between McCain's prolifeness and Obama's prochoiceness to warrant making abortion the sole deciding factor in my voting. Taking an anti-abortion stance should be a lot more than simply voting for a lukewarm politican who might or might not appoint a pro-life judge.

I also think that the first step towards disentangling patriotism and Christianity in the US is refusing to endorse any particular political party. The Republican party has had the evangelical vote in its back pocket for far too long; this has led to a high incidence of misleading religious language and invocations of God in cases where God is clearly not leading.

7:48 PM

 
Blogger Steven said...

Sorry Jane, I'm going to stick by my comments...the most important thing a president can do about abortion is in his Supreme Court appointees, and in that Obama and McCain are significantly different. Taking a pro-life stance is more than that, but it is not less than that.

Also, I agree with her third paragraph.

10:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home