Friday, September 10, 2010

Ministry Method Analysis

Guiding principle: "We do not use deception, nor do we distort the Word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly, we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God." (II Corinthians 4:1)

Ministry Method: Advertise your event as a "campus-wide worship night." Invite all the campus ministries to participate in it. Then, once they are there, invite them all to join your group.

Verdict: This is deceptive. Worse, it is deceptive towards other believers. Actually, I am not sure if it is worse to deceive believers, but it certainly is a good way of causing disunity in the body.

This used to happen to some extent through a ministry at the University of Arizona. I experienced this tonight. I do not understand this. At all. Why? What kingdom work is being done?

The ministry in question probably spent a fortune on thousands of fliers. In the weeks leading up to the event there were fliers everywhere on campus! And they were glossy and attractive as well. But there are huge problems with the whole event.

1. Confusion of audience. These fliers were passed out indiscriminately to all people. But if someone came who wasn't a Christian, they would have immediately been weirded out by the eerie eyes-closed singing, and confused by a sermon filled with popular Christian jargon. Were they trying to attract nonbelievers? If so, why create a program so inaccessible? If not, then why spend thousands of dollars giving them fliers for it?

2. Uncertain aims. Although there is certain merit in an event which seeks to unite all Christian students in praise and worship, they nullified this by advertising for one specific ministry. Yet the event was not particular enough either to give the students any sense of why they should go to that specific ministry.

3. Awareness of unmet needs. There is no shortage of opportunities for Christian students to sing songs together and listen to messages. Many Christian students listen to podcasts of popular preachers all the time. All of the students there were a part of some fellowship, and many of them probably a part of several! This is not what the campus needs!

-----------------

I have been thinking a lot lately about formulating ministry from first principles. What does this mean? It means to minister in such a way as to reveal what you believe about God's character. It means to vigorously line up the manner of your ministry with what the Word says about it.

This is difficult because it is often not very attractive to my ego. What is attractive is having a large crowd of people come to my events, to have them listen carefully to my sermons while taking notes, and have them rave about my brilliant speaking and insightful analysis. It would be easy to try and create a situation in which I can do all these things (although even at the height of my natural oratorical giftings, I wouldn't excite a crowd like more naturally gifted speakers). I could, for example, come up with a clever hook for an event, reserve the right room, promote the heck out of it, etc. I may be able to convince a fair number of people to come.

Note that I am not implying that having big events and inviting lots of people to come to them are inherently bad ministry techniques. I am thinking more about myself as I start a new ministry.

For me to minister from first principles is for me to allow God to move as I share the Word with others. It is to trust that deep investment in a few is worthwhile. It is to trust that it is the Word that should attract people, and that when I share the Word with others, I do not need any other hook. It is to be content with a faithful ministry.

Ministry is people. It is for those I interact with. It is not for me. I have to be constantly reminding myself of this. My goal is to bless and cause growth in the lives of individuals, to be the means through which God causes REAL spiritual growth in the lives of precious individuals with faces and names and stories. Within this sphere may come the larger group speaking opportunities, but always, always it is me and Israel, me and Jon, me and Cavin, me and Alexi, me and Jaime, me and Ben, and there present with us the power of God, his Holy Spirit at work going among us as we read the word, as we pray, as I teach and encourage and correct.

This is my work, and the large group helps to solidify a community within which this work can happen. That is why I am persevering in it. But the heart, the purpose, the joy and struggle, all these must be real, felt, face to face, a man speaking to a man. This is ministry.

1 Comments:

Blogger diro said...

I read Prov. 20:6 today. And it reminded me of your thoughts here. keep persevering! :) and thanks for sharing.

10:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home