Friday, January 07, 2011

Accountability

On January 1st, 2011, I fully intend to do the following:

Tell you how many hours I prayed.

Tell you how many miles I ran.

Give you a full account of the year's memorization.

Give a full list of the books I have read.

Then you can either laugh at my foolish ambition, or give glory to God for the grace evidenced in the attainment of these things. I am weak, he is strong.

Why do these things?

1. Prayer is communication with God. As such it should be the most treasured gift we possess. Communication with him who alone is our source of all happiness, peace, and hope! I will pray not because I have some special gift of prayer, but because this is my privilege, and unless I through the power of the Spirit attack the weakness of my flesh, I will not pray. Even as I write this, it is partially to put off praying!

2. Running doesn't have much of a deep and profound basis. I just want to be healthy and this is the simplest way. I enjoy it, and I can review verses during it.

3. These goals help me to use my time well. I have been captured lately by a desire to use my time to its fullest. I read a sermon by Jonathan Edwards in which he talks about treasuring and using our time in the model of the parable of the talents. I rest in my prayers. This is rest time, is it not? Is it not restful to pray and enjoy the Scriptures?

4. I love reading. That isn't so much a goal as an invitation!

5 Comments:

Blogger spartacus21 said...

do you mean 2012?

10:52 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

probably...although i'd be impressed if he found a way to tell himself in the past what he'd accomplished a year from then.

so what does that work out to? a little less than 3 hours of prayer and three miles a day?

12:56 PM

 
Blogger Steven said...

I'm aiming for four miles five times a week. And the prayer goal is less planned honestly.

1:01 PM

 
Blogger Steven said...

And yeah of course I meant 2012.

1:02 PM

 
Blogger OAG said...

yup, all of the sermons can be found at www.anchorlongbeach.com

10:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home