Wednesday, February 07, 2007

By the way...I still haven't figured out to make a title.

I have been listening, throughout the course of the day, to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, played by John Eliot Gardener's Orchestre Revolutionaire et Romantique. This is an orchestra which plays music from the Romantic period (mostly Beethoven, Schumann, and a couple Berlioz) on period instruments.

Beethoven never sounded so alive! After hearing his interpretation, others (especially the famous Karajan recordings) sound like slogging through heavy mud. There is some debate (very nerdy debate) about the accuracy of his interpretation, but I don't care.

He also does Mozart and Bach through another ensemble, called the English Baroque Soloists. It is actually the same personel, more or less, but the name change somehow allows them to play music before 1800.

In other news, my Chemistry teacher is perhaps the smartest man I have ever met. A Latin major, he taught himself Greek and Sanskrit, and then calmly went on to predict the structure and organization of the asteroid belt. He also finds time to make extremely cheesy jokes.

Ok. I wish I had more time as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home