Monday, January 21, 2008

For Christy--In Defense of E.E.

1) I agree that the effect of her book has sometimes been to establish a standard for relationships from her relationship with Jim, which is problematic because their relationship (especially some of his actions) is not perfect. However, I don't think she means to communicate this, and I don't think a careful reading of her book does communicate this. Rather, she is using her experience to illustrate the principles she talks about.

2) What she intends to communicate through her experience is not the perfections of her relationship, but rather the obedience to God that both she and Jim (imperfectly) showed. There is something of martyrdom about their experience, just as there is in all obedience. As Romans vi...those who are slaves to sin are free from the control of righteousness. This is a freedom that the elect do not share. To obey God is to choose not to obey self. It may mean a laying down of something dearly desired. This is one of E. Eliot's constant themes, that obedience is sacrifice, and that our desire for something does not make it our right. We must be willing to lay down what we desire for what God has called us to do.

That is probably the whiff of martyrdom about her book...the fact is, Jim and Elisabeth made real sacrifices in obedience to God. You can debate the wisdom of their decisions (especially Jim telling Elisabeth he wanted to marry her without any intention of actually doing so), but I would shy away of questioning what God was calling them to. Follow their example in following God with passion and self-sacrifice.

So maybe that would clear up some things. I mostly like her because she insists on submitting to Scriptures no matter how she feels. So must we.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

haha! Thanks for responding to my comment! :)

Well I'll say again that I DID really like Passion and Purity. And I can agree with you that she was not trying to communicate that everyone should have a relationship like hers and Jim, but I still don't like that it does feel that way, whether it was intentional or not.

And I guess, I hope I can say I don't like that feeling of the book, while at the same time say that I really do admire their "relationship model." I guess while reading, I started thinking about truly godly couples I've observed, and then started thinking things like "oh man, 'CoupleA' or 'CoupleB' totally is doing something wrong because they're not like E&J in [enter unique (and positive) aspect of their relationship here]." and then thought about it for a while...then realized I was probably just overreacting. It was something that I struggled with throughout the whole book, so that's probably why it bothered me. But that might just be a reflection of my tendency to overreact about everything, and can also come from how I haven't been in a relationship myself yet.

I agree too that the book is a lot about their obedience to what God called them and sacrificing their desires for a time and martyrdom. It is really good do observe how they did it, however imperfectly. It's something we should practice.

What I was meaning by my comment is that I felt like they were complaining too much about God's calling. I guess I expected that letters from someone who ended up dying a violent death while serving in his call to Native American tribes would contain a few more things about, well, how much he was enjoying serving Native American tribes, maybe similar to the affectionate language towards the unreached people used by Bruce Olsen in Bruchko, but all we got to read in the book was his letters about how much he wanted to be with Elisabeth, but couldn't.

I guess I need to remember that the book is not Bruchko, it's Passion and Purity, and the focus is on relationships, not missions.

Huh...well your comments are pointing out a little more to me. I don't think you fully understood what I was talking about, but still hit something important. You see, I guess if I were the one running around South America to unreached tribes...since that's something that I think I'd love so much, I read and think "Stop complaining! You're living my dream!" I guess (and I feel a little weird posting this for single men to see, because I really truly do not want to scare them off completely!) that I personally don't see myself as one who would struggle *too much* to wait for marriage if I was called to some crazy overseas mission first. So I criticise J&E more for it.

But, in the context seeing it, as you say, them being obedient and denying something that they are greatly desiring...

...that's something I need to think about more.

Like, for example I would maybe have a harder time having to wait to get married if it was for some reason other than a crazy overseas mission.

Or like maybe now my passion is to go and run around South America or North Africa or Asia or anywhere else.

But my calling now is to be at school.

And I can do that with a little less complaining...

...ooouch >_<

Ok Steven I'll go pray about this.

Good think Jesus has grace and there's no condemnation! But seriously I'll pray about this more.

And I do want to thank you for pointing these things out. :)

So...have you read Letters from Jim Elliot? Based on what I've said, do you think I would like it? After my first reading and reaction of P&P you can imagine I decided I may not enjoy it but I might be wrong.

10:29 PM

 
Blogger Juanis Chanis said...

wow...a comment that's longer than the post...good job christy!!

11:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home