Monday, November 24, 2008

On an expression

"That's the pot calling the kettle black."

So, the other day I was talking to my friend, and I casually threw out the above expression. I actually didn't even say the full expression, just "pot and kettle." I thought the expression was so common that it didn't even merit the full effort of saying the exact words, just an allusion would be fine.

Much to my surprise, she had never heard the expression before. So I asked my roommates. Neither of them had ever heard the expression either. Confused, I decided to take an informal text message poll. I asked about 15 people via text message. It came back that about one-third had heard it before. One-third! Quite a shock.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Steven, I'm beginning to wonder if you made up this expression on your own and are trying to make it sound popular...because thats ok too, you know...

1:09 PM

 
Blogger Mamita Betsy said...

Here it is:

http://www.goenglish.com/ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.asp

2:26 PM

 
Blogger TL said...

i actually have heard of it, even though i might have been considered of the 1/3 because of my esl turned into reggie white joke.

3:09 PM

 
Blogger valbuss said...

Ryan says "who HASN'T heard that expression!" with a look of bewilderment on his face. So I guess that makes two for more the yeses (is yeses even a word?)

3:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home