Sunday, February 18, 2007

On the Word

I started reading the Bible daily during the summer of 2004. The first book I studied was the book of Luke, which I read in conjunction with the Psalms. Next, I read I Samuel, and then Lamentations, and then Ecclesiastes. In the fall, I read Corinthians and Thessalonians. In December of 2004, I started reading Genesis, and finished up the first five books of the Bible in late May of 2005. That summer, I read Acts and I John. In the fall, I read Isaiah and Proverbs. In Spring of 2006, I read John, Ephesians, Colossians, Galatians, and Philippians. That summer, I read Jeremiah, Hebrews, Joshua, and Judges. This past fall, I read Ezekiel, Revelations, the Pastorals, and the Minor Prophets. Over Christmas break, I read II Samuel and Kings. In January, I read the epistles of Peter and James. I just started Matthew.

If you are keeping track, the books I have left are Mark, Chronicles, Ruth, Esther, Ezra, Nehemiah, Job, and Song of Solomon. If I can finish those off by June, it will have taken me roughly three years to read the entire Bible. The coolest part of all this is that throughout this time (with a few exceptions), I wrote down the date, and in some cases the time and place where I was reading each passage. On the title page of each book, I have written the dates in which I read each book. I also have my various notebooks in which I took my notes. If you pick a day during the past three years, I can look through my Bible and tell you exactly what I was reading that day.

Part of this is a quirk in my personality. But also, I deliberately wanted to chart my reading as it progressed, to see how my thinking has changed; to see the ways that God has used the Bible to mold me. My conclusions are...

1. There is nothing so valuable as a thorough knowledge of the word. I know this not because I claim to possess such a knowledge, but because I know enough of the Bible to see how much greater my understanding could be.

2. The Word applies in all situations. It gives insight into human behavior, into the functioning of governments. This gives me sympathy for the worst man and cures me of any false hope.

3. The Word speaks first to me. It convicts me first.

4. When I started reading the Word, I was thoroughly convinced of the inaccuracy of my theological views. Now, I hold them all with an open hand, for they have greatly changed. Someday, perhaps I will be ready to speak again, but not yet.

5. For all that God has shown me in the Word, I find that it is an inexhaustible resource. I shiver with the anticipation of another year of reading, another five years in the Word, another 20, another 50.

If life be long, then I'll be glad that I may long obey
If short then why should I be sad to soar to endless day?

------------------

I hope that all of you will spend more time in the Word.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caro Bella said...

Yeah, it's cool when you can back up your argument with the rock-hard Bible. Unlike you, I'm starting my reading with Matthew. It's going slow because I read it over and over until i can truly grasp an inkling of the general idea. My brain is too puny to understand it completely. =)

8:27 PM

 
Blogger bentley said...

An impressive record. Spending time reading the Word is both a great joy and a great struggle for me. Over the last few months I've acheived my greatest consistency of the last six years.

4:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home